My favorite food of all time is lasagna. I’m sure I’ll have a few followers that will agree with me! It’s my go to easy meal that I tend to cook whenever I have company over or have to bring a dish to a family/friend’s house.
Because of the new gluten-free craze, the health benefits of quinoa and most importantly my boyfriend’s celiac disease, I started experimenting with quinoa! What better way to enjoy this awesome grain then to incorporate into my favorite dish!! (Side note: this does not take into calories if you are watching those…this is a healthier comfort food recipe)
Here’s my version of quick quinoa veggie lasagna:
1 cup of uncooked quinoa
2 zucchinis or yellow squash (or one of each)*
2 stuffed cups of fresh baby spinach
1 jar of pasta sauce (I like to use vodka sauce – it gives it a different/yummy taste)
1 – 2 cups of ricotta cheese
1 bag of shredded mozzarella (12 oz bag)**
Approx. 1 tablespoon of “Trader Joes Everyday Seasoning” – (or a combination of salt, pepper, oregano) I don’t usually measure this out, I just eyeball it.
*You can use other veggies if you have them on hand. I’ve used asparagus, broccoli, peppers and even corn once! Zucchini/squash is my favorite though.
**You may need more cheese than this if you want it to be really cheesy.
1. Place quinoa in a pot with two cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes. (You can buy all types of flavored quinoa as well to add a kick to your lasagna.)
2. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
3. Rinse, peel and slice zucchini/squash into thin slices.
4. Mix ricotta cheese with “Trader Joes Everyday Seasoning” or your combination of salt, pepper, and oregano
5. In a greased baking dish, began layering the cooked quinoa, vodka sauce, ricotta cheese, *a little mozzarella cheese is optional in the layers*, zucchini/squash, and spinach.
6. Use the remaining bag(s) of mozzarella cheese to top of the lasagna
Bake for 15 – 20 minutes (or until all the cheese melts on top)
7. Let cool for five minutes.